[Sca-cooks] siting table in Middle-eastern style.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 11 23:09:32 PDT 2009

Cariadoc said:

<<< My interpretation of the old fashioned way, which I gather is still
the practice in the Middle East, is that you have a platter with a
pile of rice, and the various things all on it, presumably on
different parts of the pile. This makes serving much easier. It's how
Elizabeth and I did our Islamic feast at Thirty Year.

My guess, but it's only a guess, is that one way of doing it is to
use tray tables. The stands are in place, the trays are brought in,
each with its pile of rice (perhaps on a big plate), with (say) three
different main dishes, all served out on top of different parts of
the pile. That would explain the prominence of tray tables. >>>

"prominence of tray tables", when?

In the Middle East, now? In the Middle East in period?

If you mean in period, what did these tray tables look like? I keep
thinking of TV tray tables from the American 50s and 60s. I hadn't
realized they might have gone back further than that.  Still, a
somewhat jarring image, thinking of a group in traditional dress
gathered around a small, glowing box with a white and black flickering
image...

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com