[Sca-cooks] Rooting-through-the-freezer chewets: a late-night improv experiment

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 15 09:18:28 PDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Elaine Koogler wrote:

> Thanks for posting this...I'd love to try it sometime.  How do you
> think
> they would taste cold...like make them today, fry them up, then
> serve them
> on Saturday?  Or are they really a lot better fresh out of the
> frypan?  The
> pictures on Facebook were awesome!
>
> Kiri

The best way I can describe that would be to compare fresh-from-the-
fryer doughnuts with room temperature doughnuts: some would say one is
a religious experience, the other just good.

Yeah, you could probably cook them on Friday night and serve them cold
Saturday. It's what I did, and people seemed very happy with them. I'd
suggest cooling them spread out on an uncovered plate or tray, so they
don't get any more steam-soggied than is absolutely necessary. Then
pack them up in a container when fully cold (they don't dry out
because of the fried layer of pastry).

They still maintain a bit of crunch when eaten cold.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter