[Sca-cooks] Onion-riffic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 16 21:30:20 PDT 2009

Adelisa said:

<<< I'm giggling over the thought, but imagine a "themed" feast or
contest: "Celebration of the Redolent Bulb." Not only onions, but
garlic dishes on the menu. >>>

Maybe a cooking contest. But not for a feast. Even if the onion-
allergic people were warned ahead of time.

I think Kiri sums it up well with:
<<<And I'll never forget a feast served here in Atlantia...I worked in
the
kitchen that day, so it lives forever in my memory...every single dish
had
onions in it...and every single dish was brown, brown and yellow or
yellow.
Heaven help you if you didn't like onions or were allergic to them. >>>

<<< It'd be like medieval "Iron Chef." I'm sure someone has done this,
right? "Here's 20 pounds of onions, go to it!"

Adelisa >>>

Maybe. At least there the judges are volunteers. Still I think I'd
want to be on the first team judged and not the fifth or sixth or...

<<< (who loves onions, but finds they don't love her back) >>>

On the other hand, it is difficult to have too much garlic...:-)

More onion stuff:
onions-msg        (64K)  9/ 5/09  Period onions. Scallions, shallots.
recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/onions-msg.html
   (Just updated, but it looks like I now have some more additions...)
leeks-msg         (28K)  2/ 8/08  Recipes for dishes using leeks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/leeks-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com