[Sca-cooks] "French Toast"

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:17:19 PDT 2009

> Judith mentioned:
> To me, challah is what you use to make French toast on Sunday mornings.
> Mmm, French challah toast.

Stefan asked:
> Why? Because challah is a richer bread with additional egg added to the
> bread? Because it is a lighter bread and soaks up more egg mixture? I think
> I've only occasionally had challah, although we have discussed it here.

I don't believe there are any rules about french toast.
I think the reason challah is often used is 1.  It is an enriched egg bread
(so is brioche) 2.  There is usually some left over.
In reality- any day old bread works fine - I've even used rye bread.

Why day old (or older) - because fresh bread just breaks down too easily.
The only way I've made it work is to soak it quickly, fry it off and then
put it in a warm oven to continue baking.

But with tonight being Erev Rosh Hashanna I'm thinking this Sunday might
just be the perfect day for some leftover challah french toast!

Shoshanna