[Sca-cooks] Soupe Crottee (Vivendier) - any experience?

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 25 12:31:07 PDT 2009

Susan Lin wrote:
> I agree - this would be difficult from what I have read to make in a large
> quantity.
>
> Could it be revised to resemble more of what in modern times is french onion
> soup?  Where the bread is placed on top of the broth and the cheese on top
> of that?

Probably, but bread floating in wina and water with cheese on to isn't
quite the point of the recie.  It also doesn't sound all that good.

> I've tried to make cheese soup and if you're not very careful you can get
> much gloppyness as the cheese congeels and sticks together (and then burns
> to the bottom of the pan).

It helps if you go slowly-- if you add too much cheese at once, it
really likes to glom together rather than mix with the liquid--
especially if you add the cheese to liquid that isn't quite hot enough.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?