[Sca-cooks] Recipe for period gingerbrede

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 9 13:59:22 PDT 2009

Good question.  I've made period gingerbread with fresh breadcrumbs and with
dried ones.  I did not like the dried ones at all.  They never softened up
and smoothed out enough; not a good texture.  Putting a fresh loaf of
"light" bread (as my grandmother used to say) through the food processor
produced a much better product for my time and money.

Mairi Ceilidh

This may be a silly question, but why is it usually assumed that the
grated bread in the period sources equates to dried breadcrumbs?  Did
one or more of the sources specify dried bread?

- Doc