[Sca-cooks] a feast for Richard the Lionheart (was <no subject>)

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Sep 10 06:26:23 PDT 2009

There's always Austrian prison fare.
A quick glance at Wikipedia-
"On his way to the territory of Henry of Saxony, his brother-in-law,
Richard was captured shortly before Christmas 1192, near Vienna, by
Leopold V, Duke of Austria, who accused Richard of arranging the
murder of his cousin Conrad of Montferrat. Moreover, Richard had
personally offended Leopold by casting down his standard from the
walls of Acre. Richard and his retainers had been travelling in
disguise as low-ranking pilgrims, but he was identified either because
he was wearing an expensive ring, or because of his insistence on
eating roast chicken, an aristocratic delicacy."

He wasn't freed until 1194.

Johnnae