[Sca-cooks] a feast for Richard the Lionheart (was <no subject>)

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu Sep 10 07:09:09 PDT 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hey all from Anne-Marie
>
> Given the fear of the "other" so pervasive throughout our history, would a
> local family have served their returning King "furrin'" dishes?
>
> Certainly we see VERY different cuisines in the later period middle eastern
> texts than we do the concurrent western ones. Combine all that with the
> surely scarecity of "furrin" ingredients and I am thinking that when Richard
> got back to England, he ate English food.
>
> That said, if it's a family on the border...when he was en route, as it
> were? They might have access to recipes and foodstuffs that the folks back
> home would not have?
>
> An interesting ponder, I think :)
>
> --Anne-Marie, who thinks WHY people ate what they did is about as much fun
> as WHAT they ate :)

Define "furrin" as it pertains to Richard--he spent less than a year total
in England all the time he was king. He more considered himself French, so
he was more likely to have preferred French delicacies (which, I concede,
were pretty darned similar to English delicacies if the cookbooks are to
be believed).

Margaret FitzWilliam (for whom it is the 10th year of the reign of King
John)