[Sca-cooks] Soup-tastic (was: Onion-riffic)

Antonia Calvo ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 16 22:05:17 PDT 2009

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Yum... that would go down really well here.
> Actually, just going off on a tangent, how do people feel about soups in
> general.
>
> To which Margaret FitzWilliam replied:
> <<< I wouldn't serve a soup for an evening meal because you can't always
> guarantee that people will have the bowl and spoon to eat it with. Soup
> appears to be the norm for on-site lunches hereabouts--soup, bread,
> butter, cheese, apples--so for my last event lunch I served sausages
> instead of soup. :-) >>>
>
> Interesting. I'm not sure if it is a regional or kingdom difference,
> but here you are likely to see a soup or stew for about 60% of the
> dinner feasts and much fewer of the served lunches, especially for
> camping events.
>
> I won't be serving soup at the Nobles lunch I will be serving in
> October since it has been requested to be finger-foods.

I like soup, and if I don't serve it too often, it's mainly due to the
fact it's a pain to serve.

People here like chicken and vegetable, provided it contains plenty of
everything and is really well seasoned, zanzerelli (broth with eggs,
parmesan cheese, and crumbs), onion sops, almond caudle, and broth with
wilted greens.  They probably like other kinds, too, but those are the
ones I've done that have gone down well.  On the other hand, they're
deeply suspicious of anything that seems to be mostly cabbage, carrots
and water.

My personal bugbear is soups that just don't have enough seasoning.

--
Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?