[Sca-cooks] OT: a short vacation before winter

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 18 05:51:31 PDT 2009

I've always had a thing for the CA coast (Pacific Coast Highway), Monteray,
Santa Cruz, up to San Francisco, then (yes, I know they aren't on the PCH)
the Napa/Sonoma valleys. Fascinating big city with every foodway you could
hope for, quirky small towns, two valleys of wineries open for tasting for
compare and contrast (with tours), ocean/surfing, the amusement park from
The Lost Boys (ok, that ones not such a big thing), history over every
inch, and one of the few spots I've seen where the scenery is mindnumbingly
beautiful (as in, I went to the overlook, and almost couldn't get my eyes
to focus properly it was that lovely -- this is the peak on the connector
between Half Moon Bay and the San Jose side)

Another place I've always loved for some reason for the sheer zen of the
place (which is to say, not necessarily looking for good food, or lots of
entertainment, but just the "wow" of nature), is the Badlands National Park.

toodles, margaret