[Sca-cooks] Squash in Scappi's Opera

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 18 10:11:30 PDT 2009

On one of the local culinary lists I'm on a discussion came up about squash, whether they were found and used in pre-1700 Europe, and if so, what breeds. I've been going through not only all of the great recipes in Scappi, but the extremely useful indexes as well.

In the index listing all ingredients by type squash are listed under vegetables and herbs above ground: Squash (common, hairy, Genoese, Savona, Turkish). But I don't know what any currently available equivalents might be, any thoughts on what appropriate substitutions might be?

As for how they would have been cooked in renaissance Italy, listings for squash in the index under preparations include: squash, in a think soup in lent, in a thick soup with almond milk, in a think soup with meat broth, stuffed in lent, squash and onions in a thick soup, stuffed boiled and oven baked, fried, tourte without cheese, and rinds.

Sounds like some potential ideas for a wonderful fall meal, vegan or carnivore options as well. :)

In joyous service,
Raffaella