[Sca-cooks] Squash in Scappi's Opera

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Sep 18 20:09:47 PDT 2009

Professor Janick is the author of such papers
as
Janick, J. (2008). Giant pumpkins: Genetics and cultural
breakthroughs. Chronica Horticulturae, 48(3), 16-17.

Janick, J., & H. S. Paris (2008). Cucurbitaccae 2008 (33-41). INRA.

Janick, J., S. S. Renner, J. Scarborough, H. Schaefer, & H. S. Paris
(2008). Cucurbitacceae (273-280). INRA.

Janick, J. (2008). Reflections on linguistics as an aid to taxonomical
identification of ancient Mediterranean cucurbit. Curcurbitacceae 2008
(43-51). INRA.

Janick, J., & R. E. Paull (2008). Encylopedia of Fruits & Nuts. CAB
International. This was just reviewed in the most recent issue of
Gastronomica.

By all accounts he's considered to be an expert on the subject. I
suspect he may well be able to look at a flower and tell if they are
squash or not.

You could of course write the authors at Purdue University and ask.

They can be contacted at janick at purdue.edu.

Johnnae