[Sca-cooks] Squash in Scappi's Opera

CHARLES POTTER basiliusphocas at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 19 21:45:14 PDT 2009

   Scully translates the native zucca as pumpkin which is wrong, it should be translated as gourd.  Many times they will call New World zucca as zucca from India or Turkey.  All squashes (yellow flower) are New World and the zucca they had in period are gourds (white flower).  They have both in the Opera as Scappi will tell you.  This is a very confusing area for us in SCA because the scientists that work with taxanomic classification of squashes and gourds have had a tough time with this as well.

                                                  Basilius Phocas