[Sca-cooks] Kraut krauting

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 30 12:09:10 PDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Volker Bach wrote:

> Well, I started my first batch of sauerkraut - got a big pottery
> container, shredded ten kilos of cabbage, salted it down, tamped it
> in, put a bowl on top to press it and now i hope to get something
> edible in a few  month's time.
>
> If it works, I'll try something more ambitious next year.
>
> Cheers
>
> Giano

Cool!

I've seen some references to people using little or no salt, and also
to pressing down a couple of whole cabbages in with the cut stuff, so
you can have pickled whole cabbages or cabbage leaves for stuffing,
pan liners and so forth.

Adamantius (who mostly lactic-ferments chiles for making sauces)

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter