[Sca-cooks] Lunch costs was: An Andalusian Lunch at Red Dragon

Susan Lin susanrlin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 14:48:49 PDT 2009

Ranvaig said:
Another thing.  Our autocrat told me that he didn't want lunch on the
budget, and asked if I would fund lunch and I could keep the profit for
myself.  It didn't seem right, but I usually cook to break even, not for
profit, but usually pay for everything and settle later, so it's not a big
difference.

A few days later someone in the group posted that they want our shire to
fund the lunch tavern for a nearby incipient group.  It's not yet approved.

Am I wrong to take offence at the idea that they pay for another group's
lunch but want me to pay for our event's lunch?  I said I'd do it, I've
really been looking forward to cooking a nice period lunch, but am having
second thoughts.
my reply:

What reason did they give for not wanting the lunch to be on the budget? Is
this something that is usually in the budget?  If so, that sounds kinda
fishy to me.

Here if I organize a "donation lunch" I ask people to make one dish and then
it's kind of a pot luck thing.  Sometimes we have a theme and sometimes we
don't.  If I'm asked to make the lunch myself then the event steward gives
me a budget and I stick to it.  We still call it a "donation lunch" and any
money raised is used to defray the cost of the lunch budget.

The only time I didn't do this (it is a new practice for me, this "donation
lunch" idea) is when I did the feast and wanted to do the sideboard as
well.  then we put the entire amount into the budget.  The next "donation
lunch" we're having we got a small budget from the Barony to help defray
costs for people who might not otherwise be able to participate because of
their own budgetary restrictions.

Why do they think it's right to ask you to foot the bill for your own groups
lunch and then they turn around and want the Shire to pay for the lunch of
some other group?  Sounds very strange to me.

Shoshanna