[Sca-cooks] plantain, bananas, herbals

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Tue Sep 1 14:52:56 PDT 2009

>> (To be honest, I am not really sure which plant the discussion is all
>> about. But that is not important. Anyway:)
>
> Plantain shows up in the herbals, but they are often talking about ragwort
> (Plantago) rather than bananas (Musa).

Thanks a lot!

However, my concern is rather how to distinguish the search items on the banana/ musa/ plantain side.

I have eaten bananas but I guess I have never ever seen a plantain fruit in my life ...

What is the modern scientific name of the plant we are looking after
and what might have been the names used in the early English, Italian,
Latin, German, Dutch ... what else? ... herbals?

E.