[Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for March

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 5 23:20:07 PDT 2010

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for April detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have
researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a
little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to
introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in
academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few
have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them
published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire
Known World.  A number of people indicated they would send me articles
or class handouts at Gulf Wars but I have yet to get them. :-(

If you are a newsletter editor and would like to get a copy of this
monthly article for your print newsletter several weeks before I post
it to the mail lists, please contact me. If you publish a newsletter
on the web, I also have a version of this article which includes the
links for each file. If you would like to get on my list for the web
version of this article, please email me.

Please support the Florilegium so I can keep it online by clicking on
any ads that look interesting to you. The amount advertisers are
willing to pay is affected by the number of 'clicks' they get. Each
new ad click seems to add a few more cents to the total.

Thanks,
Stefan

---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information
in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class
handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in
A&S papers.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the
Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ACCESSORIES section:
    Rubies-Spphrs-art   "Rubies and Sapphires" by Lady Rutilia Fausta.
    Viking-Beads-art    "Viking Beads" by Lady Sileas ni Dhomhnaill of
                           Goldenoak.
In the CLOTHING section:
    merch-shoes-msg     Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
In the COMBAT-RAPIER section:
    rapier-armor-msg    Construction of armor for rapier combat.
In the CRAFTS section:
    LMM-Repousse-art    "Leather Mallet Medallion, Repoussé" by
                           Lady Ingeborg bildsbriótr Ulfsdottir.
In the EQUESTRIAN section:
    Women-Riding-art    "Women Riding in Medieval Times – Practical
                           Experiences" by Lady Isabell Winter.
In the FOOD section:
    crockpot-dshs-msg   Medieval dishes which cook well in a
                           slow-cooker/crockpot.
    DYKIP-Brekfst-art   "Did You Know it's Period? Part 7: Time for
                           Breakfast" by HL Rowan Houndskeeper.
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
    cmp-ckng-bags-art   Camp cooking using boil-in bags for quick
                           meals by Baroness Claire Shayhan.
In the TEXTILE-ARTS section:
    oilcloth-msg        Period oiled or waxed, waterproof cloth.

Here are the updated files for this month:
    fd-France-msg       Food of medieval France. References.
    gingerbread-msg     Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
    gums-resins-msg     Period use of plant gums and resins. Myrrh,
                           mastic, frankincense, camphor.
    hais-msg		     A medieval, Middle East sweet made of dates,
                           bread crumbs, ground nuts, and sugar.
    kitchen-clean-msg   Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
    London-msg          Medieval points of interest in and around
London.
    macrame-msg         Period macrame. References.
    olives-msg          Period olives. Processing fresh olives.
    pewter-msg          Pewter in period. References. Sources.
    raingear-msg        Period raingear. waterproofing cloth.
    root-veg-msg        Medieval and period root vegetables.
    SCA-gays-msg        Acceptance of Gays and Lesbians in the SCA.
    SCA-transport-msg   Typical and unusual SCA vehicles and
                           transportation.
    shields-msg         SCA and period shields.
    snow-msg            "Snow", a white, creamy confection often
                           served with wafers.
---
Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related
publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left
unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit
the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article
introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact
info are retained.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com