[Sca-cooks] sour and substantial breads

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 08:49:28 PDT 2010

Rather than sour beer bread, I like to take the spent grain from fresh
beer brewing and add a big dollop of those to plain bread dough.
Wonderful fiber value, sweetness from the barley malt and an extra kick
from a different kind of yeast.  Win all around.

There is this very common quick bread recipe, usually called "Beer
Bread," made with 12 oz. beer, 3 cups self-rising flour and a couple
tablespoons of sugar.  Very good with soup or stew, best eaten just out
of the oven, does not age well but most un-fatted quick breads don't.
Maybe that was it?

Cheers,
Selene