[Sca-cooks] Sixteenth Century Turkish

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Apr 6 20:33:44 PDT 2010

Use this site

http://www.kanyak.com/surname-i-vehbi/index.html

It carries this note:
Note: This site is currently under construction. When completed, it
will contain all the Levni images in jpg format together with
explanations and comments.

It seems to feature most of what the former site did.

Wayback machine is dropping connections right now.

The problem with the Wayback Machine is they preserve text and drop the
illustrations, so those sugar garden illuminations aren't there. I
could never get them to load.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041202015617/www.geocities.com/surnamei_vehbi/

Just use the other website and save time.

It also features

http://www.kanyak.com/hasan.html

------------------

I've been busy which is why I have been staying away from this thread,
but here are a couple
of notes taken from what I've posted in the past:

Perhaps you haven't come across this post of mine from April 2006
where I wrote:

to answer some related
questions on another list I have been looking into Ottoman foods also.
Besides all the EEBO materials and descriptions of foods encountered by
Westerners, there's a huge amount of other stuff.
Among the most interesting online articles that I have come across is
this one:

“The Imperial Procession: Recreating a world's order” by Stephane
Yerasimos. It examines the feasts and festivals of the Ottoman Court.
  (NO LONGER Available here)
by the author of A la Table du Grand Turc which can be acquired from
Amazon Canada.

2010 ---You can interlibrary loan that volume of course; very helpful
if you read French.

For those that are intrigued by the topic and would like to read more,
I can suggest the following books in English.

Cevik, Nihal K. (Editor), Imperial Taste, 700 Years of Culinary
Culture. Ankara : Republic of Turkey, Ministry of Culture, the General
Directorate of Research and Development of Folk Cultures, 2000.
Footnotes and bibliography along with pictures and some recipes.
Also includes a translation of The Bursa or Edict of Standards from
1502.

One book with marvelous pictures is:
The Food Culture of the Ottoman Palace by Gary Oberling and Grace Martin
Smith. Istanbul : Society of Friends of Topkapi Palace Museum, 2001.
Again great illus; good text with footnotes; Lots of information on the
16th century court.

The newest and perhaps one of the most interesting as of 2006:
Yerasimos, Marianna 500 Years Of Ottoman Cuisine ISBN : 9752301614
Publisher : Boyut Yayın in İstanbul.
It was just published in Dec. 2005, so it’s not available for
interlibrary loan.
Prices vary widely.
It includes a great chapter on food and culinary sources
in Ottoman history, inc. palace records. Also nearly 100 recipes ranging
from 14-17th centuries. With illustrations.

The easiest way to obtain Turkish books is to order them directly from
Istanbul. Should anyone get motivated and want to order from Turkey, I'd
suggest EREN Books. http://www.eren.com.tr/
While it can take 6 weeks or longer at the cheapest book rate, my
books in 2006 came in roughly two weeks.
Otherwise do try interlibrary loan, but be prepared to wait.

http://www.tulumba.com is another online Turkish store with lots of
stuff.
They also carry some books.

2010 Note: I would warn that you can easily drop a couple hundred
dollars or more buying these books. Consider them a great investment.

 From a post in 2004 I mentioned this:

At http://www.ascibasi.net/ascibasiEng.asp
is
the full annotated Turkish text of Mahmud Nedim's cookery book
As,ç?bas,?, which was originally published in Istanbul by Yap? Kredi
Yay?nlar?,
As edited by Priscilla Mary Is,?nn, it can now be found on this website.

Mahmud Nedim bin Tosun, a lieutenant in the Ottoman infantry,
completed his cookery book in H. 1316 (1898),
and it was published in Istanbul in H. 1318 (1900).

While it's 19th century in composition, there are a number of
interesting recipes to be found within its pages.

This text is not available at the above website now, but I located a
copy on the wayback machine sometime back, so
it may be still available there. And YES it can be found there.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae llyn Lewis