[Sca-cooks] Books was Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Apr 10 08:07:18 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Audrey Bergeron-Morin" <audreybmorin at gmail.com>

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hisssssss. I once fired a realtor who told me I didn't need a house with
> space for bookshelves, I just needed to get rid of my books. Glad you feel
> the same way.

We've been trying to find a house for a year now, and we must have
visited about 50. To our great sadness, of the 2/3 we visited that
were inhabited at the time, only about 2 or 3 had bookshelves worth
mentioning. Very sad.

A few years ago, we bought 3 1/2 acres with a 640 sq. ft. house and a 1200+
sq. ft. storage building, into which our possessions are slowly flowing
(about 6,000 books so far, about 1/4 of our accumulation).  The plan, over
time, is to expand the house (and upgrade the kitchen), add building with a
lap pool, set up a greenhouse and, put in buildings for a wood shop,
automotive shop, textile studio, and library (I think hardwood bookcases
with glass front doors to keep the dust out would look nice).  The first
little project I have planned is a walled rose garden to practice concrete
construction, masonry and tile work in a non-critical project.

Bear