[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk Cheese Redux

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Sun Apr 11 22:18:29 PDT 2010

> Thanks for the additional info. I have saved a number of messages on
> this in the past but didn't quite have enough, I thought, to create a
> new Florilegium file on almond-cheese-msg. This is in addition to the
> file that Johnnae mentioned, almond-milk-msg. Perhaps I now do with
> your additions. There are several other period recipes, usually called
> almond butter, although they seem to be more almond cheese than almond
> butter. I would consider the latter to be something like peanut
> butter, made from the finely ground nut rather than congealed from the
> almond milk.
>
> If it would be helpful, I can send you the raw messages I've collected
> or get busy and create the file.
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I would be thankful for further information, but my timeline is to put my
class notes together by the end of the year, so I'm not in a fabulous
hurry if you wanted to create the file for everyone :)

I found the information that Bear posted quite helpful - that quark means
curds - so perhaps the way to translate this recipe for "mandel zu:ger" is
almond curd rather than almond cheese?   It took a while to find the
glossary references to the medieval zuger/zyger/ziger meaning quark so I
thought it meant something similar to the modern.  Well, as we all know,
that assumption can be a mistake!  However, it seems clear from the recipe
that this is a simple fresh cheese such as quark still is.  What a great
onomatopoetic word for the sound of a squeeking cheese curd :)

Katherine