[Sca-cooks] quark?

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Wed Apr 14 12:14:45 PDT 2010

Quark or Topfen (as it is called in Austria) tasets very simmilar to cream
cheese. It has also a very simmilar texture, except for the so called
Bro:seltopfen wich has a lot less water than normal Topfen (full fat or low
fat).
According to the Canadian page I found, both are made in a simmilar fashion.
I did substitute creamcheese and topfen in various recipes both ways with
success.

Here's the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese)

and I found a canadian page that has detailed information:

http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/cheese/sectionf.htm#freshcheese

"cited from web page:

Fresh cheese:
There are four principal types of acid coagulated fresh cheese: Cottage
cheese (North American), Quark types such as Baker's cheese (European),
Cream cheese, and heat-acid precipitated types including Paneer (India) and
traditional Queso Blanco (Latin American). With some qualifications it can
be said that these types are all made by acid coagulation of caseins rather
than rennet coagulation. The qualifications are that small amounts of rennet
are used to improve the texture of cottage cheese, and both Queso Blanco and
Paneer manufacture employ the principle of heat-acid precipitation which
includes whey proteins in the casein coagulum. Cottage cheese, quark and
cream cheese are normally acidified by lactic fermentation while Paneer and
traditional Queso Blanco are acidified by the addition of organic acids to
hot milk. In modern commercial manufacture most Latin American white cheese
is coagulated with rennet (with no culture addition) and consumed fresh.

What follows are VERY detailed recipes for industrial production"

Regards Katharina