[Sca-cooks] 10th-13th century Turkish was Sixteenth Century Turkish

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 16 14:34:07 PDT 2010

Stefan wrote:
>Urtatim said:
>>The European part was controlled by the Eastern Roman Empire, known
>>beginning in the 19th century as Byzantium, throughout the time
>>period you ask about.
>
>Huh? *19th century as Byzantium*? I think that's a pretty late date.
>What is this really supposed to be? 9th Century seems a little late
>as well.

What we now call Byzantium was called something else in its day.
Those who lived in there called it the Eastern Roman Empire, until 29
May, 1453, when the Ottomans finally breached the walls of its
primary city and brought it to its final end.

Its inhabitants, who primarily spoke Greek, called themselves Romans,
as apparently their neighbors did, as well. For example, as i have
mentioned, the Arabs, Persians, and certain Turkic peoples, called it
Rum (i.e., Rome).

Western Europeans, however, were clearly not too fond of them
(witness several of the Crusades, started by the Church of Rome, that
ended up trashing Constantinople), and called them Orientals or
Greeks.

Hieronymus Wolf, a 16th c. German historian, made a collection of
sources focused primarily on this so-
called Greek history, publishing it under the title of "Corpus
Historiae Byzantinae" in 1557.

Then, in the late 17th c., a French historian, Charles du Fresne,
sieur du Cange, decided to call the entire Eastern Roman Empire
"Byzantium", after the ancient Greek city of Byzantion, founded in
667 BCE, upon which Constantinople, the capitol of the Eastern Roman
Empire, was built. Edward Gibbon, who wrote the six volume "The
History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", in the late
18th c., relied heavily upon Du Cange.

Then in the 19th c. that European Romanticism exalted this medieval
culture, which had long been dismissed as "a thousand year history of
decline". And it was beginning in the 19th c. that the term Byzantium
began to be commonly used to refer to the Eastern Roman Empire.
--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita