[Sca-cooks] Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Apr 25 18:26:06 PDT 2010

There is a problem linguistically differentiating (in Greek and Latin)
between wild celery and parsley (as between carrots and parsnips), although
it is likely that the usage in the Odessey is for wild celery.  It is
referenced in Old French under the term "ache" from which is derived the
English "smallage."  Wild celery was used during the Middle Ages as a
medicine and a flavoring.  According to a couple sources, the first
reference (which I have not yet found) to cultivated celery is by Olivier de
Serres in 1623, which makes a 16th Century date for cultivation highly
probable.  Whether or not the early cultivated celery is similar to modern
cultivated celery, I don't know.

Bear