[Sca-cooks] Seafood, was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:43:55 PDT 2010

Thanks for all of the advice.  The recipe I'll be using calls for taking the
meat out of the shells and then boiling them in water.  they are then put
into a sauce and frozen.  The client would then thaw them and reheat.  So
we'll see.

Kiri

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Audrey Bergeron-Morin <
audreybmorin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For fresh, in the shell, mussels you need to make sure they are clean -
> put
> > them in clean cool water to let them get the sand out themselves.  You'll
> > also need to remove the beard (that dark wire-y stuff that hangs off of
> > them) and brush them.
>
> If they're freshwater, you can do it this way (are fresh water mussels
> eaten at all?). If they're saltwater, make sure to put a good amount
> of salt in the water, otherwise they'll probably just stay shut and
> won't get much cleaner than they were before you put them in water.

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince