[Sca-cooks] Raw clams/raw oysters was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 10:05:50 PDT 2010

I understand and completely sympathize.  The President had approved opening
up areas along the East coast as well as Alaska to offshore drilling.  When
I expressed dismay (I live about 4 miles in from the Chesapeake Bay), I was
told that the technology had improved to a point that spills couldn't happen
from these rigs.  I wonder what those people are thinking now?  And I also
understand that the rigs in Europe all are required to have a special
cut-off valve that engages automatically in the case of this sort of
thing...but that the US doesn't require this because it would cost those oil
companies...you know the ones with the absolutely obscene profits) about
$500,000 to install the valves.  sigh.

Kiri

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM, <chawkswrth at aol.com> wrote:

> Actually, the latest reports have the slick heading to Louisiana/Alabama
> shores-the very active shoreline with over 40 natural wildlife preserves, as
> well as millions of fishing areas and oyster bars and where entire families
> are about to lose their livelihood.
> I am on the Birder List for Alabama and we are anticipating major hits on
> Pelican and Shorebird nesting sites, as well. What it will do to Manatee
> migration is anyone's guess.
> This is shaping up to be a major natural disaster.
>
> Sorry for the off-topic comments, folks, but...::sigh::...it may well be
> decades before our food sources recover, not to say the beauty of our
> wildlife. I have stood on the shores, watching a flock of Brown Pelicans in
> feeding formation....it wasn't that long ago there were no Pelicans on the
> Gulf Coast-they had been hunted to the point of almost extinction.
>
> Helen
> Wanting to go help, but can't....

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince