[Sca-cooks] bread, again

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 1 18:37:42 PDT 2010

On Apr 1, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Ian Kusz wrote:

> I'm looking to make bread, which calls for shortening.
>
> Will it still work if I use olive oil, canola or butter?

If, as was suggested, it is to be cut into the flour, it might be best to use butter. OTOH, it should be noted that butter is usually about 80% fat and 15% water, so you will need to adjust slightly the amounts both of butter (you'll need a bit more than you would shortening), and a bit less of other liquid, to compensate for the water in the butter...

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter