[Sca-cooks] Cherries was Clove defined and symbolism

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Apr 3 09:17:27 PDT 2010

I did  a paper on cherries last summer. Recipes in the late
Elizabethan and Jacobean period
include
To make Cherries in confection.
  Take ripe and chosen cherries, cut of half the stalks and put them
in a frying pan over a soft fire, for every pound of Cheries strew
upon them a pound of good white sugar in pouder, seeth them so till
the third part be wasted, when they are sod put in a little Rosewater
with a few cloves, and sinamon beaten togither, then let them coole
two or three houres, and then put them into your pots.

A Book of Cookrye.  (England, 1591)

Here again we have cloves and cinnamon being used, so apparently they
really did believe cherries went with cloves.

Here are a couple more:

To make conserue of cherries, and other fruites.

TAke halfe a pound of Cherries, & boile them dry in their own licour,
and then straine them through a Hearne rale, and when you haue
strained them, put in two pounde of fine beaten Suger, and boyle them
together a prety while, and then put your Conserue in a pot.

Dawson, Thomas. The second part of the good hus-wiues iewell. 1597.

A Cherry Tart.

BRuyse a pound of Cherries, and stampe them, and boyle the sirrup with
Sugar. Then take the stones out of two pound: bake them in a set
Coffin: Ice them, and serue them hot in to the Boorde.

A Nevv Booke of Cookerie.  (England, 1615)

Johnna