[Sca-cooks] Sixteenth Century Turkish

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 17:26:11 PDT 2010

But....the recipes in Soup are what was being served at the Mongol
Court...so in that sense it is Mongol.  Just as in Europe, the foods that
were eaten by the Court were the ones that got published.  And because of
the serious trading among the countries along the Silk Road, these were what
was used.  No, not by the everyday "Mongol on the Street"...but then the
dishes that are served at the White House are not what "Joe the Plumber"
eats.

Kiri

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Serena wrote:
>
>>  So does Ottoman = Turkish?
>>

> For the 16th century, and for a culture in contact with Europe, pretty much
> yes.
>
> Also, i have noticed that in the SCA people, including those with Middle
> Eastern personae, commonly say ''Turkish'' when they mean Ottoman.
>
> The Seljuks were Turkish, but we don't have any of their recipes.
> Many of the Mamluks were Turkish, but the only cookbooks we have from the
> period of their rule are Arabic.
> There were many other Turks of significance within SCA period, but few
> people in the SCA seem to be aware of them.
> Even A Soup for the Qan is primarily Turkic, and not particularly Mongol,
> with the author being Turkic, and, frankly, the majority of the Mongol
> administration being Turkic, not Mongol.
>
> But for the 16th c., Turkish is most likely to be Ottoman.
>
> --
> Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince