[Sca-cooks] Millet Polenta & "Maize" frumenty was "anchient grains"

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 07:50:57 PDT 2010

Here's the "millet polenta with verjuice" recipe from the anon. Venetian:

LV. Panicata con agresta.
Se tu voy fare panichata con agresta, toy lo panico pesto e ben lavata la schorza e ben monda, e toy do libre de mandole ben monde e ben macenate e distemperate con aqua chiara, e toy tre oche e mitile a rosto, e miti a fogo lo late de le mandole, le do parte e 'l panizo ben mondo, e fay coxere, e quando è ben cocto, toy lo grasso de l' ocha e mitillo entro lo panizo ed altro grasso frescho de struto che sia de porcho e una quantitade de zucharo e sale tanto che basta. Questa vivanda vuole essere biancha al piú che tu poi, e volse dare per scudelle e zucharo de sopra e le oche per taiere con uno altro savore, e vuole essere fatto como disse. Chi tolle lo figato de l' ocha e rossi d' ova lessali insieme e quando sono cocti, pestali in mortaro con bone specie fine [e] distempera cum l' alessaúra e con un pocho d' aceto e d' agresta e falo coxere a questo savore vole essere camelino.
LV Millet polenta with verjuice
If you want to make a millet polenta with verjuice.  Take millet, which has been washed free of the husk, peeled and ground.  Take two pounds of peeled ground almonds which have been tempered/mixed with clear water (and the almond milk strained off).  Take three geese and put them to roast.  Put (one half of) the almond milk on the fire, mix the remainder with the ground millet, then add to the pan and allow to cook.  When it is well cooked take the goose grease and mix it into the polenta, or use any other fresh fat that you have from pork, and add a quantity of sugar and sufficient salt (to season to taste).  This dish should be as white as possible.  It should be served in a dish with sugar dusted on top, and the sliced geese served carved with another sauce.  And it (the sauce) should be made as is said (here).  Take the liver of the geese and egg yolks and boil them together, and when they are cooked grind them in a mortar with fine, good spices,
 temper/mix them with the cooking water and with a little bit of vinegar and verjuice, and cook, this sauce should be a camel/beige color.

There is another interesting grain recipe in this source that is currently translated in the title as "Maize" but then calls for wheat in the body of the recipe itself:

XXIV.	Formentra bona e utille perfetta.
Se tu voy fare formentra, toy lo formento, e pestelo ben fin sí che lieva la scorza; poy lavalo ben, poy lo meti a bolire non tropo, poy getta via l’ aqua, poy lo meti entro quello grasso de la carne che tu cosi, e volo essere spesso non tropo, e mitili spesie dolze e forte, e zaferano, e se tu non avesse formento, toy rixo; sarà bono.

XXIV Maize dish (Frumenty) good and very useful.
If you want to make frumenty, take the wheat berries, and grind/beat it well until the husk lifts, then wash it well.  Put it to boil in water, but don’t boil it too much, then pour away the water.  Then add inside the fat of whichever animal you wish, and you want to make sure that you don’t add too much.  Add sweet and strong spices, and saffron, and if you don’t have wheat then you can take rice, and it will be good.

In joyous service,
Raffaella