[Sca-cooks] sour and substantial breads

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Apr 6 08:40:56 PDT 2010

I find beer breads so-so.

Your filling may have been a real sourdough which produces a heavier loaf
than the stuff that you buy at the grocery which is called sourdough (where
the sour is usually citric acid).  If it had large pockets of aeration, I
would say it likely had a yeast booster or had really good CO2 producing
yeastie beasties and lactobacilli.

If you like sourdoughs but don't want the hassle of keeping a starter,
here's a trick you can try with your bread machine.   Take 1/2 cup of water
and proof the yeast for which the recipe calls.  This will replace 1/2 cup
of liquid in the recipe.  Once the yeast is proofed, add one cup of flour
and stir it in until you get a thick batter.  This will replace 1 cup of the
flour in the recipe.  Cover the bowl and let it stand on the counter for 24
to 48 hours to let lactic acid build in the sponge.  Pour off any liquid
standing on top of the sponge.  Break the sponge apart in the remaining
liquid of the recipe and proceed to make bread as you normally would.  Not
as good as a fine sourdough, but it will have more flavor.  The one worry
with this method is mold, so if you live in a mold prone area, you may want
to keep an eye on the starter and use it a little earlier in the
fermentation.

Bear