[Sca-cooks] Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Apr 7 15:59:44 PDT 2010

It's an earlier version. Non annotated.
Amazon notes for the 2004 paperback that in 1892  the Lewis family
presented the original manuscript to The Historical Society of
Pennsylvania where it still resides today.
"In 1940, the Society gave special permission to historian Marie
Kimball to study the manuscript and prepare a cookbook entitled, "The
Martha Washington Cook Book." Mrs. Kimball fully adapted Martha’s
cookbook to practical, modern use. All the recipes were proportioned
to our current practice of a formula for serving six people. Each
recipe was tested. It is not only correct, but tastes great!

The Martha Washington Cook Book by Marie Kimball was published in
1940. It has now, of course, long been out-of-print until this
historic 2004 limited edition reprint."

So skip this Kimball edition and just buy the Hess edited version
published by Columbia University Press.

Johnnae