[Sca-cooks] Thirteenth Century Turkish

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Fri Apr 9 13:48:41 PDT 2010

Johnna, sorry to have repeated what has been said before. I was not aware of it and found no mention of the book by the search engine of the sca-cooks archive, nor with "sufi cuisine" nor with the name of the author.

Urtatim, as for the name "Rumi", yes, however, many book titles etc. just speak of him as "Rumi", and Wikipedia says:
"known to the English-speaking world simply as Rumi".

<<

Bear in mind that the recipes in Halici's book are **inspired by**
what she read. >>

I thought I had made that clear by referring to what I called the layers. There are no recipes in the work of Dschalal ad-Din ar-Rumi (fill in your preferred name variant).

As she comments on her practice explicitly, I find it clear most of the time what comes from Rumi and what comes from her recreative activity.

Of course, there are things that cause some reflection:

"Many of the sweets from Mevlana's era are still available in present Konya cuisine".

How do we know that 13th c. kadayif mentioned by Rumi was the same thing as the present day sweet?

Isn't kadayif also mentioned somewhere in the tacuin sanitatis?

But maybe I should first read the book entirely. So please ignore everything what I said before ... ;-)

Is anybody here familiar with the texts of Rumi in its original form? The author quotes the passages in English translation, and I would like to know about translations like "Börek" (Boerek) and "Kebap" (p. 109).

E.