[Sca-cooks] Panforte

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 12:04:57 PDT 2010

Here is a recipe created by my apprentice, Baroness Francesca Onorati.
It's quite yummy.
Gwyneth

PANFORTE

2 cups blanched toasted almonds, coarsely chopped or slivered
1 cup raisins, Zante raisins (currants), or golden raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup flour

3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons butter

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, then mix in the dried fruits and set
aside.  Grease an 11 inch springform or tart pan with a removable
bottom.  Line it with baker's parchment and grease the parchment.
Combine the sugar, honey and butter in a small sauce pan and bring to a
boil over medium heat.  When the syrup is between the soft and firm ball
stages (about 245 degrees F), thoroughly mix the syrup into the dry
ingredients to make a stiff batter.  Scrape the batter into the prepared
pan.  Spread and smooth it. (I needed to butter my hands to press it
into the pan.)

Bake in a pre-heated 300 degree F oven for about 40 minutes.  Remove
from the oven and let cool about 15 minutes.  Separate the walls from
the base.  Allow to cool on the base.  Remove from the base.  Peel off
parchment and serve.  It burns very easily.

It will keep for several weeks at room temperature.