[Sca-cooks] Sixteenth Century Turkish

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 05:23:11 PDT 2010

Probably the word you're looking for is Seljuk...a Turcoman tribe that set
up their government in Iran in the 11th c. and later defeated the Byzantine
armies and established a peace with Constantinople. The great Seljuk empire
went into decline and minor clans split up areas of Anatolia, including
Constantinople, now known as Istanbul.  In the 14th c. a minor chieftan
drove the Mongols out and established the Ottoman empire.  It was the
Byzantines, however, who had the Norse Varangian guard.

This is rather sketchy...and you can find a better summary at
http://www.allaboutturkey.com/selcuk.htm

Kiri

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Ian Kusz <sprucebranch at gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry, I meant medieval/viking age Turkey.  I'm unclear on the terminology.
>
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM, <yaini0625 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have some. Its based on Icelandic records and Gotland.
> > I also have Saami/Lapland
> > Aelina the Saami
> >
> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince