[Sca-cooks] pan forte / pan pepato sort of recipe 1564

CHARLES POTTER basiliusphocas at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 14 11:49:33 PDT 2010

> From: t.d.decker at att.net
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:24:53 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] pan forte / pan pepato sort of recipe 1564
>

> >  NOTE:  All pounds are 12 ounces (345g) and I would use true cinnamon
> > instead of cassia cinnamon, but he may mean cassia as he uses the word
> > cinamomo which is used rarely in this book.  The usual word is canella
> > which I am very sure means Ceylon or true cinnamon.
> >
> >                  Master B
>
> The Italian libra of the period was closer to 328 g. being roughly .722
> avoirdupois pounds.  The Italian onza is approximately 27.25 g., making
> about 1 g. lighter than the standard avoirdupois ounce.
>
> Bear

  The weights I have given are only good for the Libro Novo (Bancetti) in the city of Ferrara.  There are no standard wts. and measures for all of Italy in the 16th century.  A very good source is Italian Weights and Measures from the Middle Ages to the Nineteenth Century by Ronald Edward Zupko.  A wealth of information followed by a splitting headache if you read too much of it at a time!

         Master B