[Sca-cooks] 10th-13th century Turkish was Sixteenth Century Turkish

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 13:30:16 PDT 2010

Urtatim said:
<<< I will assume that what you mean by Turkey is the boundaries of
modern Turkey, since there was no Turkey before the Ottomans

It also depends on whether you mean the European part of modern
Turkey or Anatolia, the Asian part of modern Turkey.

The European part was controlled by the Eastern Roman Empire, known
beginning in the 19th century as Byzantium, throughout the time
period you ask about.

And in the 10th c. (900s) much of Anatolia was under the control of
Byzantium, and this was the case through much of the 11th c.

By the late 11th c., however, most of Anatolia was controlled by the
Empire of the Seljuk Turks, although Byzantium remained in control of
parts of the north and west. >>>

Huh? *19th century as Byzantium*? I think that's a pretty late date.
What is this really supposed to be? 9th Century seems a little late as
well.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com