[Sca-cooks] Slimy was Re: Seljuk/Rumi/Sufi Cuisine

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 06:32:48 PDT 2010

Yes, Aeduin, sea cucumber also falls into the category.  And, Master A, it
does have to do with the texture.  Most gelatinous foods I can
handle...though I early on developed a dislike for jello because I associate
it with being sick.  One of the other foods whose texture is distressing to
me is souse...not sure what the world at large calls the stuff but it's
left-over pig parts in a vinegar-based gelatin environment.

With food, it is a textural thing.  Slimy was the best word I could come up
with to describe it.  When a food has the texture I describe, I have trouble
even putting it into my mouth.  Yes I know...it's totally illogical...just
as my perception, proven false repeatedly, that snakes are slimy.  I'm also
afraid of deep water.  Also illogical.  But there you go.  I'm sure a
psychiatrist would have a field day with all of this...but, you know...there
are so many wonderful things out there that I DO like, many that a lot of
other folks don't like (liver, spinach, haggis, buttermilk) that it's not on
my radar to worry about.  I don't mean to be flip or rude...but there you
are!

Kiri

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2010, at 2:26 AM, aeduin wrote:
>
> > Sea Cucumber.
> >
> > aeduin
>
> Nope. Maybe we're differing on the definition of slimy, but I've got the
> dictionary on my side. Something slimy should have a coating of slime or, by
> extension, other mucilaginous or viscous coating, right? If you touch the
> item, and your hand comes away with a coating of something slimy?
>
> Gelatinous-textured foods that don't have such a coating include pig's
> feet, oxtails, various heads and ears, Chinese white fungus, some black
> fungus, Jello, aspics, sea cucumber, the swim bladders of various fish,
> vesiga, cooked bone marrow, and a host of others.
>
> Oysters aren't even gelatinous; they're rather crunchy when raw, if you're
> not of the "swallow them whole" school... which I never understood,
> myself...
>
> Zucchini can acquire a mucilaginous layer on cut surfaces, as can okra,
> maybe things with sassafras/gumbo filé in them. The skins of fairly fresh,
> possibly even live, fish?
>
> Oh, and rotten foods often have slime on them, but I'd hope we're not
> eating them just to establish where our tolerance level for slime is...
>
> I'm just opposed on principle to arguments being supported by repeating
> untruths (political theater run by former direct mail advertising
> executives, anyone?), even if it's for reasons of convenience or simplicity.
> I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for Kiri not to like oysters, and
> it may even be something about their texture, but the slime thing could not
> be it. Yes, it's such a little thing to make a fuss over, but we all live in
> a world that has, especially lately, been materially altered in a negative
> way by the active propagation of untruths. This one is actually pretty
> passive and harmless, but I think if more people got into the habit of
> calling shenanigans when they hear an obvious whopper, we'd all be better
> off in dealing with the bigger ones we get in the media on a daily basis.
>
> Adamantius, drinking his non-slimy coffee...
>

> "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we
> all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
>                        -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince