[Sca-cooks] batter breads

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 3 23:19:28 PDT 2010

Bear explained:
<<< The key issue in the cooling is keeping the moisture in the
bread.  It's a
thin bread and it will dry out faster than a French baguette.>>>

Gulp. Faster? Those French baguettes dry out pretty quickly and make a
handy weapon.  Either very hard or they shatter into lots of sharp
fragments.

  <<< Batter breads have a fairly early origin and this particular
bread is
obviously related to some Yemini breads, suggesting cultural transfer
between 700-900 CE, if not earlier.  Rather than saying that this sounds
like a lot of period flat breads (which is not necessarily true), I
would
say that it is a batter bread which makes it similar to all other batter
breads including period batter breads.  >>>

A batter bread? vs. what? a dough bread?
Are all batter breads, flat breads? or vice-versa? Or are these
unrelated?

This has yeast. I thought all flat breads were unleavened. Are all
unleavened breads flatbreads?

Lots and lots of bread varieties. I wonder if ale/beer or bread has
the greater number of variations.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com