[Sca-cooks] cuskynoles / diagrams / forms of visualization

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Aug 2 17:36:22 PDT 2010

Of course they could have drawn objects in the pages of the
manuscripts, but It's more likely to find recipes as margin notes than
drawings in recipe manuscripts.

There are very few cases where drawings are included.
Maybe one reason would be that the recipes were copied and the scribe
just followed the words as given without ever seeing the process. Or
the recipes were dictated to a scribe who wouldn't dream of doodling
on the pages of the manuscript.

Of course we do have famously Michelangelo Buonarroti's
Three Different Lists of Foods
pen and ink on paper
1518

http://tinyurl.com/2ca8vte