[Sca-cooks] A Feast Menu for Commentary

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 7 08:31:27 PDT 2010

Serena wrote:
 >I really want to do some sugar work - but I have no idea how to go
 >about it. I am familiar with sugar paste and such but have come across
 >no descriptions as to how the Ottoman's did sugar work. I have a bunch
 >of pictures of the parade of sugar from the Suleyman's sons
 >circumcision celebration and I know exactly what I want to do (the new
 >Baroness has a thing for elephants). But the how is causing me
 >problems.

Johnnae's suggestion of making a mold is a great one.  If you don't have
time, though, you might consider just applying a thin coat of sugar
paste or marzipan to an elephant statue/toy.  If it's marzipan, you can
peel the coating off to eat.  If it's sugar paste, it's likely to stick
hard enough that you won't be able to retrieve the original item.  In
the Midrealm, now-Mistress Rosamund Beauvisage did something similar
with a plastic man that she transformed into a sugar paste prince.
Color/paint the coating material for more realism.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com