[Sca-cooks] Question about kitchen equipment (OP)

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:10:30 PDT 2010

English kitchens at places like Hampton Court had large boiling kettles that
were used to boil meats prior to being roasted, among other things.  They
were also used for stews, etc.  That's what the one in this kitchen looked
like to me.  Unfortunately they had the area blocked off so I couldn't
really get a good look at what the area above the fire looked like.

Kiri

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM, <wheezul at canby.com> wrote:

> > Recently I ran across an inventory entry for a 16th century (1590) German
> > home, that included a "1 eingemauert Siede Kessel" or one walled (or in
> > the wall) boiling kettle as listed in the kitchen.  I didn't know exactly
> > what that might have meant but found this 16th century image that might
> > explain:
> > http://pics.livejournal.com/jillwheezul/pic/00157dtg
> > (sorry I can't get this image into a different format than the quicktime
> > one)
> > Katherine
>
> If the other link doesn't work try this one:
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/jillwheezul/pic/00188pb2/
> (success I hope)
>
> Katherine

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince