[Sca-cooks] The medieval origins of zeppole and cheesy doughnuts

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 10:09:54 PDT 2010

Food historian Clifford Wright has a new (new to me, anyway) article up on his site about Sicilian zeppole where he talks about their medieval origins, and he has some interesting period citations in it:

http://www.cliffordawright.com/caw/food/entries/display.php/topic_id/13/id/124/

He also gives in this article a period recipe by the traveler Abdalbasit ibn Halil for a fried cheese doughnut called mujabbana, which I am going to try making. What are your theories as to the "piece of cheese" placed in the middle of the cheesy dough?

Mmmm, cheesy doughnuts ...

YIS,
Adelisa de Salernum