[Sca-cooks] Bronze Cookware

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 30 05:25:53 PDT 2010

Greetings!  Concern has been expressed regarding the warning on the web
page where the reproduction bronze cookware is for sale.  I sent a query
to the Hampton Court cooks, asking if they tinned the cookware or had
concerns about using it.  I received a brief response (with an
indication that a longer explanation might be forthcoming) which said
that, no, they didn't have the cookware tinned because there was no
indication that it would have been tinned in period.  The responder, one
of the cooks who eats the food prepared in the cookpots, said that he
had a complete blood workup last year where he specifically asked to be
tested for heavy metals.  His blood was normal, no indication of heavy
metals in it.

Another person, not one of the cooks, said that he believed that, if the
food was immediately removed from the pots (not left to cool in them),
there would be no problem with lead leaching out into the liquids.

If/When I hear more from Hampton Court, I'll pass it on.  At this point
it sounds as if they use the pots and don't have any problem with lead.
  A subsequent post by a non-Hampton Court cook posited that period
bronze cookware could have lead content up to 20 or 30 percent.  That
would make the current 5 percent fairly low.

Alys K.
--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com