[Sca-cooks] The Epulario

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Aug 8 12:36:43 PDT 2010

It's also up on EEBO. Part of the problem is that it was unpaged. It's
listed in the cataloguing records as [80] p.  I have a print-out from
both EEBo and the UMI microfilms. I also have the Falconwood Press
edition from 1990.

London Printed by A[dam] I[slip] for William Barley, and are to bee
sold at his shop in Gratious street, neere Leaden-hall 1598

Holy S***!

It's being sold on Amazon!
EARLY HISTORY OF FOOD. Imagine holding history in your hands. Now you
can. Digitally preserved and previously accessible only through
libraries as Early English Books Online, this rare material is now
available in single print editions. Thousands of books written between
1475 and 1700 can be delivered to your doorstep in individual volumes
of high quality historical reproductions. This collection combines the
commercial aspects of food handling, preservation and supply to the
more specific aspects of canning and preserving, meat carving, brewing
beer and even candy-making with fruits and flowers, with a large
resource of cookery and recipe books. Paperback: 88 pages; Publisher:
EEBO Editions, ProQuest (July 13, 2010) Language: English

ISBN-10: 1171324464 ISBN-13: 978-1171324461

So this would be brand-new and priced on Amazon at $14.63.

They also list
A booke of cookerie and the order of meates to bee serued to the
table, both for flesh and fish dayes With many excellent wayes for the
dressing of all vsuall sortes of meates. (1629)

There's 13 listed under food and cookery.

Wow.  I asked EEBO years ago if they would consider doing something
like this and now they have!

Johnna