[Sca-cooks] Boozy jellies

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 31 08:17:47 PDT 2010

Just the fruit left over after being squished and fermented for three
weeks or so.  Mix fruit with the same weight in sugar, cook until soft
and easy enough to put through a strainer.  That's the plum butter.  If
Jared is very nice to me I will save him some.

For the pork, I took a pint this stuff and thinned with a pint of water,
then put in several pounds of "pork shoulder strips" [sold alongside the
ribs, kind of gristle-y, I probably would just get ribs next time] and
about 1/2 cup [yes, that much] of "steak and chop rub"
[salt/pepper/spices] and simmered until the meat was done.  Unexpectedly
good.  Saved about half to make meat pies for the weekend, plus another
pint of the cooking liquid for which I'm trying to think of another
use.  Probably will cook another round of meat in it.

Not so period but thrifty,
Selene