[Sca-cooks] Eggs in Mustard Sauce

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 30 10:42:17 PDT 2010

--On Monday, August 30, 2010 10:17 AM -0700 Euriol of Lothian
<euriol at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This was one of the transcriptions I came across in a quick google search:
>
> "Eggs in Mustard Sauce
> Sodde Egges: Seeth your Egges almost harde, then peele them and cut them
> in  quarters, then take a little Butter in a frying panne and melt it a
> little  broune, then put to it in to the panne, a little Vinegar,
> Mustarde, Pepper and  Salte, and then put it into a platter upon your
> Egges."
> ---A Taste of History: 10,000 Years of Food in Britain, Tudor Britain,
> Peter  Brears [British Museum Press:London] 1997 (p.162)
>

> Not sure of the original source, but I'm at work so I will not hunt it
> down at  the moment.

According to another modern work over in google books, it's from The
Widow's Treasure, Partridge.  And, indeed, it is in the 1595 edition,
towards the back (image 41 of 49 in the EEBO copy, but I can't see an
original page number. EEBO shows two pages per image typically).

toodles, margaret