[Sca-cooks] Eggs in Mustard Sauce

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 10:17:52 PDT 2010

This was one of the transcriptions I came across in a quick google search:

"Eggs in Mustard Sauce
Sodde Egges: Seeth your Egges almost harde, then peele them and cut them in
quarters, then take a little Butter in a frying panne and melt it a little
broune, then put to it in to the panne, a little Vinegar, Mustarde, Pepper and
Salte, and then put it into a platter upon your Egges."
---A Taste of History: 10,000 Years of Food in Britain, Tudor Britain, Peter
Brears [British Museum Press:London] 1997 (p.162)

Not sure of the original source, but I'm at work so I will not hunt it down at
the moment.

I'm still not quite certain what your crisis is about... Although this recipe
says "Seethe your egges almost harde" it would seem that they would need to be
hard enough to not have the yolk run when you quarter them, but not so hard as
to overcook the eggs when the warm sauce placed upon them.

At least that is my guess.

 Euriol