[Sca-cooks] Manchets

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 1 07:19:20 PST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Terry Decker wrote:
> There is no particular advantage.  All this does is create a layer between the baking surface (baking sheet, oven floor, etc.) and the loaves to be baked.  It was a common practice to scatter meal in thermal mass ovens to reduce scorching the bottom crust by providing some insulation and a covering over any residual ash.  It works even better on modern baking sheets.  I've been using the method for 20 years or so and find it superior parchment or grease for sheet baked breads.  It cleans up with a shake over the trash can and a swipe of the sponge.

I vaguely recall seeing references to throwing a handful of meal in to see if it browns immediately on the oven floor, thereby gauging the temperature?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter