[Sca-cooks] Creative Commons-OT

Woodrow Hill asim at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 3 08:29:37 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 02:30, H Westerlund-Davis <yaini0625 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
> I was following one of my "rabbit trails" this evening for my Pentathlon
> project. One of the sites I visit had this link posted. The author of the
> website has posted pictures of artifacts and under the picture it said, " Used
> under a Creative Commons license." Here is the link
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
>
> As anyone else come across this in their research? Since we have been discussing
> Copy write, licensing, et. al recently I thought this was interesting.

I've been using it for years, now. It's the license for my dance blog
(linked below, but down for a systems upgrade at the moment), as well
as for my SCA handouts, some of which you can see (including the
license on the front page) here:

http://www.scribd.com/people/view/570-woodrow-asim-jarvis-hill

I've used Creative Commons, successfully, to stop someone who was
republishing my blog entries in their dance newsletter; they thought
that a) RSS feeds were like AP wire stories, and b) that AP wire
stories came to newspapers for free, so...

I strongly recommend it's use for personal SCA-related writings, as
Creative Commons licenses define, in carefully-defined legal terms,
what the general consensus seems to be around works we create for the
SCA such as handouts, blogs, and similar items. Very generally
speaking, we want people to use and reuse our research for SCA items,
but we don't want people making money off them, and we'd like to know
who's using them where. I use a different license for my works than
the example given, but in all cases the link to the license lays out
exactly what the person can and cannot do with it in simple terms, and
provides a link to the actual legal terms as well.

Also, the founder, Laurence Lessig, is a Harvard Law Professor, and
there are a number of other Law Professors on their board, as well as
on staff. This is to say that, although they do not provide legal
advice, and the licenses have not been explicitly tested in court,
they did spend considerable time and effort developing viable and
sound work. It's been a serious time and stress savor for me; there's
even a online wizard that'll walk you though the license best for you,
based upon what you want to protect:

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

So yeah, it's been one of the best online services for my work, over
nearly a decade now.

----asim

--
The Politics of Dancing: http://apostate.raqsstorm.org